It’s College Week at Bedsider, a chance to highlight the efforts of our amazing campus ambassadors. Today’s spotlight is on our old friends in the Lone Star State, a.k.a. BedsiderATX.
Our favorite and most successful event this semester was with Texas Lassos at Recess Bar. Not only is it possibly one of the coolest bars on 6th Street, but there was so much activity—and so much interest in Bedsider! We got to answer a lot of awkward questions and take pictures at our photo booth—not to mention witnessing some seriously questionable (and rad!) dance moves. But we’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…
College Week, Day 1: Never Ask Your Sex Educator About Her Favorite Sex Position
Today’s “College Week spotlight” is on the never-shy go-getters of American University. Bedsider ambassadors from the University of South Carolina interviewed them about their experiences as sexual health crusaders.
1. Q: What’s been your favorite event this year or semester?
My favorite event this year was definitely the viewing party we had at Gen’s apartment. We had about 12 girls there watching the movie The Pill and it was really great to talk to girls in an informal and relaxed setting about our sex lives and the importance of us as young ladies being on birth control.
2. Q: Have you ever done anything crazy at a Bedsider event?
The craziest thing that I’ve ever done was at a pub trivia event we held at the tavern. About 10 frat boys participated in pub trivia and for one of the questions I had two of them show me the lotus sex position. During the same event, I used a microphone to promote the event shouting “do you know what the number one tip for hot sex is?!”
3. Q: Has working on the Bedsider campus ambassador program changed your outlook on sex, relationships, or life?
It’s given me a wider network to talk about safe sex, relationships, and different forms of contraception than before. It’s a great resource for me as someone who has been on the pill for a long time and is now looking for a new form of contraception and the [Bedsider] website with each type of contraception’s pros/cons and testimonials has been super helpful making me a more informed person in choosing my form of contraception.
4. Q: What is the most awkward/embarrassing question someone has asked you at a Bedsider event?
Someone once asked me what birth control method I use and I also got asked what my favorite sex position was!
5. Q: What do you think are some benefits of having Bedsider on your campus?
It’s great to have a large network of people to talk to because we can provide that friendly face to a brand for college students our age who are either looking for a new type of birth control or just a conversation!
6. Q: Is there any advice you want to give the next generation of campus ambassadors?
Make sure that you always communicate with one another so that everyone is on the same page. Also, remember that there are always opportunities to promote Bedsider. I always carry chapstick or postcards with me, in case there’s a chance for me to do some sort of shameless plug.
Sex on TV: The Sweet Smell of September
Take a deep breath. Do you smell that September? I sure do. Nope, not the smell of fallen leaves, school bus exhaust and pumpkin-flavored everything. I’m talking about the familiar smell of my eyeballs frying from hour upon hour of fall television premieres. As a self-declared uber-consumer of television, the summer drought was tough for me. But now, with all my old favorites returning and some potential new favorites beginning, I’ve got my stretchy pants on standby and my DVR powered up for scheduling overflow. Here are some of the shows I’m most excited for, with Bedsider on the mind:
1. Nashville: Connie Britton (or Tami Taylor, as she will forever be known to me) and Hayden Panettiere as dueling country singers. Connie’s character should have a scene with Hayden’s character where they talk about the importance of protecting themselves. No one gives a good safe sex talk like Mrs. Taylor, right y’all?
2. The Mindy Project: Mindy Kaling is an OB/Gyn. Check. She hooks up with other hot doctors, safely. Check. She’s hysterical. Check. I’m sorry — did we write this one?
3. Animal Practice: Arguably, this one is a stretch. Justin Kirk’s character is a veterinarian who works side by side with his partner Dr. Rizzo, played by Crystal the Monkey. But just think about it, how great would it be to see a monkey handing out condoms? Contraception game changer.
4. Dr. Emily Owens, MD: Meryl Streep’s daughter Mamie Gummer plays a recent med school grad who realizes hospital life is pretty much like high school. I’ve seen enough of these hospital shows to know that a high school-esque sex-ed refresher course may be just what these frisky doctors ordered…and need.
5. Guys With Kids: A bunch of dudes…raising their kids. Hilarity ensues. Or at least that’s what the show synopsis leads us to believe. Either way, watching a parent stutter through the most uncomfortable and awkward conversation of their life, the sex talk, does seem like it would be pretty hilarious. Sign me up.
What are you excited to tune into? What are some of your favorite returning shows? Which shows would you love to see addressing safe sex? Let me know!
Lauren Mann works in The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy’s Entertainment Media department. She’s been blogging about sex, love and relationships among twenty-somethings since she first joined the Campaign as an intern in 2009. Check out her personal blog at whatjewtalkingbout.tumblr.com.
Websites We Like: Bedsider
We are loving our newfound friend, Bedsider!
What are these awesome chicks up to? Spreading the good word about a free birth control support network, along with some fun videos, pics and more. Pretty dope. Be the on lookout for us following, reblogging and initiating some long awkward hugs (as pictured).
Previously: Websites We Like
Hurrah! And thanks:) You’ve inspired us to share with you what we consider the most awkward hug ever (about 30 seconds in), from a video series Funny or Die made for Bedsider. Looking forward to friendship and more awkward hugs—in the meantime, enjoy this one.